Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Out on the town

Current Temp Ambient:   1   Windchill:  1
Windspeed (knots):   Calm
Sunrise:                     0743
Sunset:                      1759

What a difference a day makes!  Today is absolutely beautiful, I was able to walk all over town without Big Red and was very comfortable.  Don't get me wrong, it's still Antarctica, but with no wind and the sun getting higher and higher, it's quite delightful at 1.

One of my favorite things about McMurdo is how much I learn about logistics in general, not just related to being down here.  For example, today I had to go to water plant to fix a computer.  It's down by the waste water treatment plant, which was built while I was down here a decade ago.  It's amazing to learn how that stuff works, and how little it stinks!  WWTP is the acronym for waste water treatment plant, but of course people down here make up new names, like Wee Wee Tee Pee, Well Worn Toilet Paper, etc... and a host of others I'll spare you.

I'm not saying I could work at either plant, I'm just saying I never gave much thought to things like how towns get power, fresh water, treat non-fresh water, etc..

Short but stinky blog today, I know, but this is a day in the life...

zisman out

No comments:

Post a Comment