Friday, October 7, 2011

Coffee, NASA and Dancing

Current Temp Ambient:  18     Windchill:   3  (NOTE:  there are no minus signs!)
Windspeed (knots):   12
Sunrise:                      0553
Sunset:                       2136

I hear it's windy in Denver today.  Gee, so sorry, I hope you're all OK!  My heart goes out to you all.  What is it, down to 50?  How do you do it?

So we are short a help desk person for the next couple of weeks and therefore every other day I'm back at my old job helping folks on the phone with their computer problems.  The Help Desk is now in a new building called JSOC (for Joint Space Operating Center, but we call it Just Slightly Off Center because it is!).  The Joint is between NASA and the NSF, it's where our network and servers live, and where NASA has a bunch of boxes with flashing lights and graphs and stuff.  I got a tour of the NASA part of the building recently (an old buddy who used to work in the USAP works there now) it was very boring.  Like I said, boxes with flashing lights.  BUT, what they are doing is not at all boring.

NASA monitors a lot of different stuff from down here and in fact, very little of what they do is even Antarctic in nature.  It's just a good place to monitor stuff, very little interference from cell towers, radio waves, airplanes, that sort of stuff.  So they are collecting and sending data for scientists all over the world studying the sun, the ocean, jeez, it's been 2 weeks and I hardly remember all the things Rex told me.  But it's very cool.

And they have a really fancy coffee machine with really delicious coffee, which they are kind enough to share.

Gotta go, we are having a spontaneous dance party at the help desk now to some Thai pop rap.


No comments:

Post a Comment