Saturday, January 28, 2012

WATER!

Current Temp Ambient:   26.6    Windchill:     19.9
Windspeed (knots):    14
Next Sunset:   Feb 21, 2012

Apologies, I've been remiss in blogging, I'm tired and not a whole heck of a lot is going on that I feel like writing about.  However, there is open water, which I've never seen here before.  In my previous trips, there was an enormous ice berg (as in the size of Rhode Island) blocking the annual sea ice from blowing out.   That berg has moved on, so the sun, the wind, the tides and the current have done their thing and encouraged the sea ice to melt, break up, and head north.  There are whales and penguins more and more frequently.  In the next few days I'll take a walk and hopefully see some of the amazing critters that occupy this barely inhabitable place.  Today I had to walk down by the water for work and the temp must have dropped 10 degrees in the 100 yards between my work center and the place by the water I had to go because of the humidity in the air from the open water.  I almost forgot oceans are supposed to be made of liquid!

The ice breaker has also arrived and quickly cut a channel for the fuel tanker (pictured below) and the cargo vessel to sail through.  The cargo vessel is having a very rough year, it's broken down three times and is slowly making it's way here extremely late in the season as a result.  A lot of our stuff will need to be flow down by C-17, it's a tough year for the folks who work in cargo.

As you can see from my Next Sunset line in the header of this blog entry, we are just a few weeks away from the first sunset, which means the summer season is ending.  I'm out of here in 2-3 weeks, my exact date is still up in the air, but before long I will be packing up and heading north.  I have a lot of fun travel plans ahead of me this spring and I'm really looking forward to various tropical islands, snowshoeing in Colorado, eating sushi and watermelon, getting a pedicure and a haircut, seeing my family and friends, petting a dog, driving my car, seeing the moon and the stars, sleeping when it's dark out, and enjoying the off season.  One of the best things about this place is the freedom it gives us the rest of the year.  I think this ice lifestyle is working for me, for now anyway.  No rat race, no errands, no rushing around.  It's very calm for labor camp and in an odd sort of way, I find it very relaxing here.  But at the moment, I just need to be warm and eat all the fresh food I want, whenever I want!



Zisman out and almost OUT!






No comments:

Post a Comment