Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Made it!

After a few delays in ChCh, including a mechanical delay once we were finally geared up (at which point I asked a friend of mine if my bunny boots made my ass look fat and he said "no, but your ass makes those carharts look fat."  ...ah McMurdo, I sure do love a place where we dish it out completely uncensored) we made it to McMurdo 2 days ago!  It's like I never left, and I am so happy to be back.  Lots of old friends are still here, it's amazing how many people have done 10 or 15 seasons on the ice and can still hold a conversation.

In all of my past seasons I've been an inside worker as the outside workers have kindly pointed out (i.e. don't come to lunch after your 3 minute walk from a cozy building where you work all day and complain to your friend who has been outside fueling tanks all day and proclaim "it sure is cold today!" without expecting a little harassment in return.)  But this season, even though I'll be doing my actual job inside, I have to go from building to building to building.  Yesterday I had to wear my big red and goggles, I tried going out without them and couldn't see a thing. The bottom of my jeans froze in about 2 minutes.  But with the proper gear, it's actually quite lovely...ish.

Speaking of buildings and weather, here is a link to McMurdo's webcam http://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/mcmWebCam.cfm where you can see what's going on in real time (or with a 10 second delay).  Sometimes snow blows onto the camera, but typically you can get a really good shot of good ol' Mactown.

OK, off to help some poor outside worker with a computer issue...more later.

zisman out...for now anyway

No comments:

Post a Comment